Eyes are making it tricky to keep blog rolling right now.
Study on prehistoric violence published. Tracing the history of California for past 1,000 years.
Weird Life Found Trapped in Giant Underground Crystals. Mexico. Naica mine in Chihuahua. Microbes trapped in pockets of fluid inside these crystals. 10,000 to 50,000 years old.
4chan: The Skeleton Key to the Rise of Trump. This one is annoying because there are several inaccuracies in it or shit I just disagree with.
- 4chan wasn’t that off the radar. I tried it out fairly early thinking that it could be a decent forum for discovering comics. Unfortunately, most of the users had terrible taste and were incredibly arrogant about it. Most of the other topics were also utterly worthless. Then again, i used to lurk sometimes on Something Awful prior to this. Forums like ILM and Barbelith were more interesting for what I was interested in.
- Raids. Other forums alternately celebrated and derided 4chan raids. There was nothing mysterious about the origins. Almost certainly a few are referenced in old Metafilter threads from that era. ILX probably has mentions of these too.
- Everyone fucking knew it was 4chan versus Scientology. This “Don’t talk about 4chan” shit is a myth. They never could shut up about 4chan. Another factor that seemed to drive that crusade was 4chan’s love for New Atheism. That’s not mentioned in this piece.
- Anonymous. Yes, it was originally a 4chan project, but the article doesn’t mention that key members of that group were arrested. Others were probably quietly co-opted. Why would Anonymous go from ambitious projects attacking authoritarian power structures to doxxing random women on the internet? It didn’t. Mostly those were different people. Anonymous did indeed have different values from Occupy but Anonymous is not Gamergate either. Anonymous-affiliated groups used to dox rapists back in the day… and those people were pursued and charged by the FBI.
- 4chan has not been static. The forum is now on its second or third generation. As the years progressed, it self-selected for a specific set of personality traits. Eh, “self-selected” is inaccurate. 4chan radicalized in a pattern analogous to other groups infiltrated and shepherded by certain agencies. The hikikomori story is only one angle of what happened. It’s more comfortable for certain powers that outsiders like the members of 4chan to channel their frustration towards minorities than at powerful institutions. That’s how one gets an “alt-right”.